Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Unfortunate news...

The following news story is relevant to my previous blog post in a most unfortunate way...

IU student struck, killed on campus
Posted: Sep 09, 2009 4:50 PM EDT
Updated: Sep 09, 2009 6:59 PM EDT

Bloomington - An Indiana University student was struck and killed by a car on the IU campus Wednesday afternoon.

It happened on Fee Lane at around 2:30 pm. Police say a 19-year-old male student was driving southbound when he struck another student, also a 19-year-old male, who was walking eastbound across Fee Lane. The street was closed while police investigated the scene. It has since reopened.

At this point it isn't known if the victim died at the scene or in the hospital. The driver is not believed to be injured.

I wrote about how both drivers and pedestrians should both be more careful just last week.

The fact that this happened so shortly after I wrote that blog entry honestly disturbs me and upsets me. Granted, I did not expect my message to get out to everyone, I think it's unfortunate that these things still happen.

It is also unfortunate that this occurrence will serve as a reminder and as a warning that everyone driving or walking around campus should be more careful. It's unfortunate because I believe this shouldn't have happened, and people shouldn't need for something like this to happen for them to think about being more careful. Perhaps not everyone needed to be warned or reminded, but there are always people who do.

I had a New York driver (saw their license plate) honk at me as I turned right off of 10th on to Fee Lane. I wasn't going particularly slow, but I wasn't speeding either. I don't know why they honked at me, but it became apparent that they were just being impatient after I turned off of Fee Lane. The driver, in a white Jeep, decided to hit the throttle and accelerate quite quickly only to need to brake again within 100 feet because there was another slower car in front of them. Really? You can all figure out the many ways that driver's lack of patience was undesirable. It is unnecessary for me to elaborate, but with drivers like that on this campus am I really surprised that something like this was bound to happen? Unfortunately, no.

Can everyone please just be a bit more careful getting around on campus? And everywhere else, really?

Again, drivers, please be more aware of your surroundings and slow down for goodness' sake, especially if there are a lot of pedestrians around. You won't impress anyone by driving fast on campus, so no need to show off.

Pedestrians, please be mindful of the crosswalks and crossing indicators at each intersection, ESPECIALLY around 10th and Jordan and 10th and Fee. And of course, be more observant of cars turning on to the street and when crossing the street when you're walking from behind a vehicle that may have otherwise hidden you from view before.

That aside, may the victim rest in peace and may the driver find some peace within themselves and try not to become overwhelmed with grief.

My thoughts are with the families of those involved.

Honestly though, it's just upsetting, really.

No comments: